May 10, 2010

Sunday was Mothers Day (as I'm sure you know)... So a Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there. I hope it was wonderful.

Things are starting to look up for Gary and I. He loves his job, he's tired a lot but he enjoys it. Which of course is good.

Now I think a decision has been made on my end... I've have been tossing around a few ideas about what to major in... when I enroll in school...
I was talking to Britani (my sister-in-law) and my mom yesterday while we were at the pool, and they helped me come to a decision...
I am going to Major in Early Childhood Development... AND Sign Language. Now let me explain why I have chosen a double major.
I LOVE children. I always have. I taught nursery for a year and a half and adored it. And now that I have the Sunbeams its like I'm in heaven, yes those children drive me nuts sometimes but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have also been told that with Early Childhood Development it can help you to be a better mother because of the things you learn. And I think that because Gary and I don't have children yet it will be a wonderful thing.
Now, Sign Language... I know a lot of you are probably wondering what brought that on. Back in High school my mom gave me a sign language book. I loved it. And I enjoyed learning those things. My friend and I would even spell things out to each other in sign language during early morning seminary that the seminary teacher (my dad) banned sign language in class :)
I had also wished I had pursued it, especially after one day when I worked at Romp n' Roll in Maryland, when a deaf family came in and I couldn't communicate with them... luckily one of the other girls knew sign language and was able to help them. I kicked myself big time that night.
So now I'm not going to wait anymore. That is what I have chosen. Little children and Sign language. What do you think?
I do of course have to take some general education classes first... but thats a given.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate it! You guys (girls) are the greatest!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think early childhood is perfect for you! I would love to learn sign language--I've taught myself a few things so that I could teach the kids, though Kennedy probably knows more than me now. ;)
So when do you start?

Marlee said...

Probably in the Fall.. I'm very excited!

Rebecca White said...

That is awesome Marlee! You are going to be awesome and you're going to love learning Sign Language. I was forced to learn it when I became a nanny for 5 deaf children. I LOVED it! Have fun with that!

Mary Killion said...

That's awesome! I think you will do fabulously with your double major. And you're right, you can learn a lot of things in those classes that you can incorporate in your home when children arrive :) Good luck...and enjoy your summer before school begins!

Heather said...

Great choice for your major! The great thing about any major in education/ with children is that there is always work! Glad things are looking up for you two, we were sure glad Gary was here last week! Thanks again for lending him to come save David's car!